Ground Kontrol. It's a barcade. What's that you ask? By now you probably figured out. Yep, it's a Bar and an Arcade. Sweet. Sounds like a good Thursday night. Even better! every last Thursday of the month they host a Nintendo event! With Nintendo trivia, and tournaments. Awesome, perfect timing thanks to Alex.
I would have gone alone, but I called up my pal Joey to go with. We end up somewhere downtown, and Joey complains about the narrow lanes. I didn't notice because it felt just like SF downtown lanes. I actually felt kinda nostalgic haha. Apparently GK was located in a shady part of town, but it felt pretty damn safe to me. The inside of GK looked a lot like the arcade in the movie TRON. They even had the game TRON! (i sucked miserably).
As I slowly got tipsy sipping on my 2 dollar PBR I fed the following machines:
- Simpsons Arcade - went further than I ever went using only 50 cents!
- Gauntlet Legends - Spent most of our time and money on this one. One of Joey's Nostalgia games. It was pretty fun, but Gamespot gave it a 2/5 stars?
- Frogger - you gotta play frogger, but I was a disappointment holy crap. I killed 6 frogs within 1 minute. Couldnt get past the river at all wtf.
- Tron - It was the tanks game, and I believe I do not know how to play, similar experience to Frogger
- Demolition Man Pinball - their entire top floor was filled with all kinds of pinball machines. I love playing pinball, and the one that caught my eye was the one with Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes in.. DEMOLITION MAN. I lost all 3 balls within 1 minute. -_-
- Pirates of the Caribbean Pinball - This is probably my favorite pinball machine. Probably because they had the exact same one in Davis. Pew Pew Pew I lasted 3 minutes.
Man while were absorbed in the world of Gauntlet Legends, they were holding Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 tourneys. I so wanted to do the Mario Kart tournament but my character was level 8! So much hard work, I couldn't just leave and die!
I would definitely go back here, cheap beers, nostalgic games and a chill crowd. Now to check my Yelp bookmark list for the next installment of Exploregon.